Thursday, August 28, 2008

VMAs 2008

So have you seen the VMA promos feat Russell Brand and Brit? She looks good dude. Like, seriously. A miraculous recovery by anyone's standards> Which really makes me think either A) I was right with my theory or B) it was drug use all along that they are trying to make look like bipolar disorder. Like, if my theory is right, it still could be right to a certain point, that she was going to destroy her image, and got caught up in it, and got in way deeper than she thought. Like what if she was one of those recreational users of E who thought she 'couldn't' get addicted, and then did, and was in denial, and then had the svengali step in when she was vulnerable and start drugging her with perscription meds, first with her permission, then later, beyond her control. Like, to a point this was her plan, but it got away from her? I wonder. I don't think we'll ever really know. but I'm more inclined to say drugs right at the moment then anything else. And psychotropic drugs, in particular, cause that explains staying up all night, erratic behavior, thinking dressing weird is funny, not believing yourself to be addicted, etc.

Britney, as usual, I don’t know. I think you know far more about it than I do, I mean, I know what happens day-to-day, but I forget a lot of the things once they’re more than about a week old, you know? Anyway, the recovery IS pretty remarkable. I’m just surprised that people are interested. Like, they loved when she was falling over the edge, and people were shit-talking her constantly, I’m kind of surprised those same people are so willing to turn around and support her again. How does that happen? Like, I think if Michael Jackson were to all of a sudden pull it all together and put out a good album and do a huge PR turnaround, I don’t think that people would look at him and give him any sort of praise. I wonder why Britney gets away with it.


Short answer? Britney is not a child molestor.

Long answer? MJ has done WAY WAY more crazy things than Brit. I mean, brit shaved her head, looked like shit, and gained 15 lbs. For like, a year. Is looking like shit on paparazzi websites really all that damaging? She's going to win her first MTV award this year! (well, one assumes she will since she's nominated, like, in every category...and jesus, they have to guarantee her presense somehow...) MJ has been bleaching his skin white since the 80s! He's had like 8 nose jobs! Two child molestation cases! A FUCKING AMUSEMENT PARK FOR A HOUSE! Videos with Macaulay Culkin in them!? He is like, beyond insane. No one can come back from that.

Britney see, she can be saved. America WANTS to save her. America LOVES Britney. You are forgetting what there was PRE Britney. Let me remind you: NIRVANA.

Sigh. The early ninetys were so depressing. Then like a ray of pop music sunshine Britney saved us all from taking life so damn seriously. Most people HATED it at the time (myself included) but as time went on, who didn't love Britney? Everyone loved her. Even Madonna.

Though nowadays that vote of confidence seems a little ....well...crappy, since she also said she likes Katy Perry (an aside, how one hit wonder is Katy Perry going to be? ha!) The thing is, before this, arguably before the Matt Lauer interview, Britney was *perfect*...no image flaws whatsoever, other than maybe being kinda dumb. But this has solved even that flaw...now she's not dumb, she's deep. She's troubled. There's more to her then you see. At least this is what they want you to think!

America LOVES a comeback, they'll be there for Whitney, they'll be there for Britney. Unfortunately, I think MJ is beyond all hope. Unless he suddenly looks black again. And changes the names of his children from Blanket and Prince Micheal to something normal.

OK, maybe MJ is a bad example, but Whitney?? I REALLY don’t know that people will be there for Whitney. I think she’s been out of the spotlight for too long. I mean, I see what you’re saying about America loving a comeback, but really, I just wonder how they pick the people to love, because let’s face it, EVERYONE fades from the spotlight at some point, and 90% of those people try to have a comeback.

So why does it work for one person, and fail for so many other people? I think a lot of people disappear because of addiction or mental illness, but THEIR comebacks aren’t necessarily celebrated. It’s just bizarre to me, and I can’t believe how openly fickle people can be when it comes to her. I know she’s a celebrity, therefore you CAN be fickle, but it still just is kind of weird how nobody’s batting an eyelash at the new, improved Britney.


Yeah. Whitney - I think people will be there for her too. She'll prolly get some Dianne Warren penned crap produced by Babyface and Clive Davis, sometime around Xmas and everyone will love it. They'll say 'she's back" "she's a survivor"!

I think the common thread between Whitney and Britney is that people think their downfall wasn't their fault. In both cases, the public blames a douchebag boyfriend/husband for the troubles. Therefore not only can you forgive them, you can forget, and chalk it up to the dumb men. Especially women. Because while lots of men love Britney, the women, and gay men, really support these acts. Maybe that's a commonality too - they are acts that gay men love. And gay men, being underdogs themselves, love to cheer on underdogs even MORE than straight women. And all straight women have had a douchebag boyfriend at somepoint, so they can "relate", and live vicariously through the comebacks. I mean, just THINK of all the musical acts that would have fallen off the face of the earth if it wasn't for gay culture!

I feel like a lot of comeback attempts are hard to remember just BECAUSE they failed so badly, but I think that Tina Turner tries with each new album to become famous again, Diana Ross (of course), Jewel…..I dunno, my brain’s not too sharp today, but I really don’t think Whitney’s comeback is gonna hold. I think she’ll be in the news for a month, the first single will be semi-successful, but the album will still tank, and part of it will probably be because of poor decision making on the part of the producers.

I bet they’ll still try to market her as some sort of adult dance-pop, when really, she’s too old and has been through too much to be making frivolous music for a younger crowd. I could be wrong, but I’m picturing something along the lines of Janet Jackson’s last album (although I don’t think Whitney’s people would be so foolish as to think that TEENAGERS would buy her album, they’ll still create those dance-lite beats of I’m Every Woman and songs like that).

Come to think of it, it’s too bad I’m Every Woman was released pre-crack addiction…..that would be an AWESOME comeback single.

Jewel for SURE. Amazing how long that one hit wonder has carried her. Whitney would be wise to do old school sounding R&B along the lines of Winehouse but what do I know?

Maybe it will be like Cher's "Do you Believe in Life after love" album?


Hmmm, it’s hard to say what Whitney will sound like considering her voice is probably totally f*cked after the abuse she’s put herself through, but I think if she sounds anything remotely like what she used to sound like, she’ll enunciate too perfectly to be a Winehouse. But hey, what are the chances she sounds like what she used to, right?

Oh man, Jewel’s hilarious. I feel like she’s such a symbol of how every singer thought they were an artiste in the 90s, when really they just wrote total crap about what it felt like to be dumped.

Yeah, I know that maybe the whitney-winehouse thing is a stretch, but I guess what I mean is maybe electro-dance backing is not the rihgt thing for her anymore, like maybe a more soulful analog sound would be better for her, especially if her voice is less than stellar these days. they certainly are taking their time putting the album together so who knows what will happen? I think they are still trying to figure out if she can stay clean and actually do a performance.

Its really looking like brit brit is doing the VMAs closing performance. I dont' know what i think of that. lord I hope she is better and kills that shit. the best part is you know they are going to make it the last performance so you have to watch the entire stupid show.

I have to admit I’M curious about what Whitney'd put out these days. I can’t imagine it would be super interesting, but still, I’d gawk momentarily…..:)

Oh yeah, Brit'll HAVE to do the VMAs now. There’s so much anticipation around it, it has to happen. And she WILL kill it, because her comeback is in full swing. I can’t imagine she’d pull it together this much and then be crap at her biggest performance of the year, ya know?

Supposedly Larry Rudolph said to Ryan Seacrest this AM that Britney is 'unequivocally' not doing the VMAs but to be honest I'm not sure. It was apparently an email and he refers to her throughout as "bs" instead of Britney. Also MTV is saying they are having a 'surprise final performance' so ....last week her hairdresser leaks to the media that she IS doing it. then this week her manager denys it in an email in which he calls her BS. Could it be they are trying to really make it a surprise? At very least keep us talking and wondering about the vmas themselves... She's the most nominated person this year, but she's like the susan lucci of the vmas, she's never won anything.

Bastards.



No comments: